Thursday, July 29, 2021

Manchester City beat Tottenham Hotspur 0-1 to win the Carabao Cup

Pep Guardiola and Manchester City have yet again added another trophy to thier cabinet. This is Guardiola’s fourth League Cup trophy since arriving in England. While for Tottenham Hotspur they have again lost another final. As for Dany Levy, his decision to fire Jose Mourinho hasn’t paid off.

Though the game was a low scoring one but it still kept the spectators on the edge of thier seats. There were promising moves from both teams. However, in the 81st minute Aymeric Laporte’s rose above everyone else to head past Hugo Lloris and Pierre-Emile Højbjerg.

Despite all the glamour and attacking talents available to the Citizens, it took a set piece to win the game. Tottenham Hotspur defenders overall did well in the game to keep Manchester City silent. However, thier attackers will be really disappointed with themselves.

Stats: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur

Manchester City had twenty-one shots but only four on target. Tottenham Hotspur could only conjure two shots out of which one was on target. The Citizens were expected to dominate possession as they had 63% of it and the rest of 37% was with the losing side. Pep Guardiola’s side made 589 passes with 89% accuracy, while Spurs made 361 passes with 77% accuracy.

Stats: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur

The Citizens have now won the League Cup most number of times (8) they are now level with Liverpool. Sergio Aguero and Fernandinho became the first players to win this trophy six times. Pep Guardiola has been beaten in a final by Jose Mourinho, Tottenham Hotspur sacked him just one week before the final.

What happened in the game: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur

In the first half, it hardly looked like Totteham Hotspur wanted to attack. Manchester City had some promising situations but failed to score. They did come close with a Riyad Mahrez shot and Cancelo tested Lloris late in the first half. For Ryan Mason’s side, they only had a Hojerb’s shot to show which was very much wide off the post.

In the second half, there were plenty of times when Spurs looked dangerous on the counter-attack. However, they always lacked the cutting edge in the game. Later in the game, this lack of cutting edge cost them the game. Manchester City kept on putting pressure on them with waves of attacks.

On the left-wing, Serge Aurier lost his concentration and unnecessarily fouled Raheem Sterling. Kevin De Bryune swung in a free-kick, and Sissoko failed to mark Laporte. The Frenchman might have been sent off in the game as well but was lucky to continue. Laporte’s header could not be stopped by Hojerb who was on the near post duty.

Manager’s Reactions

Manager’s Reactions

Pep Guardiola

It must be a big relief to Pep Guardiola that his side managed to do the job within ninety minutes. Another round of thirty minutes of football would have tired his players more, keeping in mind next week they play PSG.

He said “It’s good. I was in big clubs: Barcelona, Bayern Munich, here. That’s why it’s easier to do. It’s not full [in the stadium] but it was a great noise [from the supporters],” he added. Today we are incredibly happy that we have four in a row in this competition. We tried to win the game, created a lot of chances. They had some chances on the counter but in general, we had a good game.”

Ryan Mason

It would have been unreliable for the Englishman to win a trophy only in his second game as a manager. However, the Wembley defeat has now become a painful memory for him. But he understands that he needs to move on from it and prepare for the next game for his team.

He said “Pain. It’s normal that they’re hurting and it shows that they care and these people feel deeply about this football club. We gave everything today. I thought the first one was an absolute yellow but it’s not the talking point because if he gets the yellow he maybe doesn’t make the tackle. That’s not on our mind

12th Man Opinion

As for Manchester City fans, they could hardly care less about anything with the trophy in thier hands. For Tottenham Hotspur fans they must be thinking that sacking Jose Mourinho before the final was a mistake.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

ADS

Top Articles

Recommended Articles

Latest Article

Must Read