Five Barcelona players tested positive for COVID-19 but the results were never made public.
Catalan Radio Station RAC1 made the revelation ahead of the Spanish Giants’ return to action on June 13. The players underwent blood tests at the start of the crisis when they tested positive for COVID-19. Barcelona did not make the results public and are yet to respond to the claims.
Two members of the team’s coaching staff also tested positive for the virus alongside the quintet. None of the members reportedly showed any symptoms of the disease before testing positive. The players are now all fit and healthy and eligible for a return when the competition resumes.
Local media reports state that there is still concern at the club over the injury susceptibility of the players. The La Liga leaders believe the players who have recovered might be more susceptible to injury. Barcelona, as of now, have been training normally with the only casualty being B-team player Monchu.
Barcelona are yet to release an official statement on the claims made by RAC1.
Spanish football programme El Chiringuito de Jugones have also echoed the accusations made by RAC1 earlier this week. Barcelona are yet to release any official statement on the claims. The club reportedly felt it was La Liga’s responsibility to decide if the results were to be made public, as per AS.
The Catalan giants restart their coronavirus-hit 2019-20 campaign against Mallorca on June 13. The matches will take place behind closed-doors after the Spanish government gave green light to the restart. The Blaugrana have a slender two-point lead over arch-rivals Real Madrid at the top of the La Liga table.
Spain has been one of the worst-affected countries by the coronavirus pandemic with more than 240,000 cases and over 27000 deaths. Officials on Monday however reported zero COVID-19 deaths over a 24-hour period for the first time since March.
The country reported only 71 new infections were recorded in 24 hours, according to emergency health response chief Fernando Simon. Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi also opened up on his struggles during the lockdown period. “Nearly all of us have the doubt about how the world will be after everything that has happened,” Messi told El Pais Semanal.
Barcelona legend Lionel Messi believes football would never be the same after COVID-19.
“Beyond the lockdown and the situation that caught us by surprise, many people have had a really bad time because the situation has affected them in some way, like with those that lost friends and family without even being able to say goodbye,” Messi said, before adding that football would never be the same following the pandemic.
Messi went on to add how people losing near and dear ones was the worst thing of all. “I think there have been many negatives in this crisis, but there cannot be anything worse than losing the people you love the most, that frustrates me hugely and seems unfair on everyone. I don’t think football, like life in general, will be the same,” he concluded.